Tommy Wilson: Approaching Excess Alcohol Use in a Primary Care Visit
0.5 out of 2.5 hrs
Goals: Learn to evaluate a patient’s medical condition and excess alcohol use, determine if they are related and appropriate treatment, and motivate the patient to accept the treatment needed.
Already have an account? Log In
What skills are taught? This case will prepare you to:
- Assess the potential contribution of a patient’s alcohol use to their primary diagnosis.
- Assess alcohol use of a patient who has relatively severe alcohol use disorder.
- Provide a brief intervention to motivate a patient to quit or decrease alcohol use when it is causing significant harm to their health.
- Recommend appropriate treatment for severe alcohol use disorder.
- Utilize motivational interviewing to motivate a patient who is resistant to accept referral to treatment for alcohol use disorder.